Rather than go over what positions can be used for every individual note, I’m going to focus here more on why I use alternate positions and offer strategies for when to use them. I’m also not going to cover intonation adjustments here, so keep in mind that when I suggest using a particular position for a certain passage you will want to know how that particular partial needs to be tuned. Always listen carefully and adjust your slide to correct out of tune notes.Read the complete article by David Wilken here.
Friday, February 3, 2012
David Wilken Discusses Alternate Slide Positions
The use of alternate slide positions is one of the truly valuable tools-of-the-trade for legato jazz playing, and many jazz trombonists over the decades have both employed them extensively, as well as written about then, including Tom "Bones" Malone's book, Alternate Positions System for Trombone. In his latest blog post at Wilktone, trombonist David Wilken has posted an informative introduction to using alternate slide positions:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment