Friday, February 10, 2012

Jeff Melton Interviews Julian Priester for Oregon Music News

Previewing Friday night's performance in Portland by Julian Priester and Rob Scheps, Jeff Melton sat down with the trombone icon for a lengthy career-spanning interview for Oregon Music News. There are many great exchanges in the interview -- here is one of my favorites, regarding the ECM recording, Love, Love:
JM: One thing I wanted to ask was this: I’ve got a very good friend of mine who does most of my interview transcriptions, and he said: Oh, you’re going to be talking to Julian Priester. We need to get a copy of Love, Love – I’ve never heard it. Can you please tell us about the sessions for that recording? It’s a wonderful record. It seems like it’s out of the Bitches Brew kind of mold. 
JP: That whole project came about as a result of Patrick Gleeson. Patrick Gleeson is a synthesist, and he was involved with the Herbie Hancock Sextet Plus One. Pat was the Plus One. He and I decided to make a statement about the impact of performing with the Herbie Hancock Sextet, and the impact it had on our personal creative aspirations. So we wrote and produced the recording of Love, Love. It reminds everybody who hears it of Bitches Brew, as you just mentioned, and the Miles Davis thing, but it is one step removed from Bitches Brew. I describe it as part of the artistic life of the Herbie Hancock Sextet. Herbie had worked with Miles, was heavily influenced by Miles, and indeed one of his goals was to be as successful as Miles was as a jazz icon. It cannot be denied that he has reached that particular goal.
Read the full interview here, and if you are in the Portland, Oregon area, he’ll be appearing at Touché with saxophonist Rob Scheps and pianist Randy Porter on Friday, February 10, 7pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment