Monday, September 26, 2011

Curtis Davenport Profiles Melba Liston on Curt's Jazz Cafe

In his six post in a series he's calling "Unsung Women of Jazz", Curtis Davenport has written a wonderful profile of jazz trombonist and arranger Melba Liston. The article begins with a fabulous quote by Liston herself:
“When I saw the trombone I thought how beautiful it looked and knew I just had to have one. No one told me that it was difficult to master. All I knew was that it was pretty and I wanted one.”
The complete article is beautifully done, so be sure to stop by his blog, Curt's Jazz Cafe, and read the entire profile of Melba Liston. Curtis has also posted some great audio clips from Melba Liston's sole recording as a leader, "Melba Liston and Her Bones", thankfully reissued and available in both CD and MP3 format. Check out her original composition, "Christmas Eve", from that classic album below...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment