Musician and blogger
Steven Cerra has written the latest article on his
Jazz Profiles blog about jazz trombonist
Andy Martin, a stellar veteran of such big bands as Tom Talbert’s Band, the Les Brown Band, Louie Bellson’s Big Band Explosion, the Bill Holman Orchestra, and many more. Steven Cerra begins his profile with this wonderful exchange:
How do you make a Jazz trombonist smile? Have him sit in a big band trombone section when Andy Martin stands up to take a solo. I’ve seen this happen time and time again.
I personally first encountered Andy Martin's playing about twenty years ago when I first heard Matt Catingub's debut big band album, "
My Mommy and Me", and I remember trying so hard to emulate his playing on "
Bopularity". Be sure to visit Jazz Profiles to
read Steven Cerra's entire profile of Andy Martin; he has also created a wonderful slideshow-with-audio introduction to Andy Martin for those not familiar with his playing...
No comments:
Post a Comment