Monday, September 19, 2011

South African Trombonist Jonas Gwangwa Shares His Stories and Wisdom

In the article "What I've Learnt: Jonas Gwangwa", the legendary South African jazz trombonist takes us on a tour of his career, it's up and downs, and the lessons he's learned along the way. Here's one choice quote from the article posted on Times Live that seems particularly relevant of late:
Young musicians should learn their craft before they get on stage. They're all in such a hurry. They don't respect music. They just want to be famous for a day. Music should last. If music doesn't last, the person behind it doesn't last. I never had the notion of being a big star or having big money. I was just into the music. When I was touring in London I realised I wanted to go to school, to go to the jazz well: New York. I didn't know how it was going to be taught. I just wanted to be a better musician.
The complete article and interview with Jonas Gwangwa is a wonderful portrait of a musician who has, without question, "been around" and has much to offer -- do yourself a favor and check it out...

No comments:

Post a Comment